Saturday, March 21, 2009

My love of hockey


As some of you might know, I love hockey. I am not the type of person who knows all the stats of all the players and teams in the NHL but I do know the game fairly well. I started playing hockey when I was 10 years old. A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them because of my size being as small as I am but I just remind them when I am on the ice I look the same as everyone else. 

I never got to serious into it like trying to be on a competitive team and I never thought I was going to be a superstar at anytime. I was out there for fun, I thought that was the most important thing and I think that is what make my love for the game grow even stronger. 

When I turned 14 I decided that I wanted to get more involved in hockey so I started to referee the girls league that I played in. I loved reffing! It was a totally different experience every game and I learnt a lot about solving problems and dealing with unhappy parents and coach's. After reffing for 3 years I went on to find a job that puts you on a schedule and that I could make more money in. 

I still play hockey as a spare in a woman's league in Minto arena. I took the year off because I didn't think I could commit to a practice and a game ones a week. I regret it in some ways but in others I am glad that I didn't decide to push myself into my last year in the Gloucester Cumberland Girls Hockey League. 

When I am on the ice I am in my prime, I feel like nothing in the world can hurt me and all of my worries and problems just seem to go away. The first time I felt this feeling of freedom I knew that I wanted to play hockey for as long as I can. 

2 comments:

  1. Very very good!! I am very sure that you found hockey one of the most interesting sports to play. Hockey is been my passion and it will always be. I love watching it and playing it. I am not gone, you’re the only girl I have ever met who plays hockey and know a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better believe it Radman! Not to many girls play but the ones that do usually know quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete